Mob Programming: All the brilliant people working on the same thing, at the same time, in the same place, and on the same computer.
Mob Programming is a cost-effective, collaborative and fun way to get work done together. It's a whole-team approach to development, where coding, designing, testing, and working with the "customer" (partner, Product Owner, User, etc.) is all done as a team.
Participants in this workshop experience a day of learning and doing Mob Programming. We cover the mechanics of how to work together as a Mob as well as the techniques that make this form of development so effective.
We’ll learn how a Mob performs sample project work, including user stories, prioritization, test-driven development, refactoring, and retrospectives.
Designed and facilitated by Mob Programming pioneer Woody Zuill, this workshop provides a hands-on education in the art of mobbing and it's significant benefits for your teams.
• How 5+ people can be effective working on just one thing
• Heuristics for team size
• Guidelines for successful collaboration
• Handling competing solutions and ideas to a coding problem
• Encouraging politeness and kindness of team members
• Reducing or eliminating harmful conflicts
• Mobbing Mechanics
• Tools for team coding
• Workspace setup
• How to "Amplify Learning" and take advantage of continual learning opportunities
• "Real-time" and continuous Retrospectives to reflect, tune, adjust
• The theory of why Mob Programming is effective.
• Test-Driven Development (TDD) as a team
• Working with Product Owners, Business Experts, Testers, Designers as part of the team
• Refactoring as a team
• Continuous feedback at all levels of granularity
Workshop method of instruction
Hands-on Exercises, Presentation, Interactive Dialogues, Simulations, Videos
• Introduction: Mob Programming Introduction, The basics of how it works
• Activity: The nature of software development
• Activity: Teamwork - a good thing
• Driver/Navigator teamwork Roles and Techniques
• Coding Dojo Demonstration: A simple demo of Mob Programming with volunteers from the participants.
• Advanced Mob Programming Concepts - Hands on coding
• Coding Exercise: Working on a Sample Project, learning to work together using a few rules
• Amplified Learning, How to take advantage of learning opportunities
• Continuing the Coding Exercise: Removing the rules
• Retrospective and review, group discussion of what we’ve learned